Marine Corp Percussion Section at PASIC 2012
Posted by Instagrate to WordPress
Posted by Instagrate to WordPress
On July 19 we attended the Drum Corp International competition in Round Rock, Texas. An awesome evening of marching and music was had by all.
Another Pinterest inspired idea.
What a great reason to buy a pack of Starbuck’s Frappuccino Bottled Coffee Drinks (Target also sells Archer Farms in the same type of bottle)! After I washed and dried them, I got out the glue gun.
If you decide to make these, be sure to use a low temperature glue gun. Writing on the bottles was harder than I thought it would be! I tried using the fabric pencil to write the word on the glass like she does in the blog, but I found it easier to just skip to the glue. However I did end up scraping the glue off a few times before I was happy with (or somewhat happy) with the results. If I make any more, I might try craft glue or puff paint for the writing.
The words I choose were all short, easy to write on the bottle (well as easy as writing with hot glue on a glass bottle can be). I went with a milk theme on a few of them. After I wrote on the bottles I spray painted them with Krylon, Almond, flat finish.
I wanted to try something besides milk bottles so I picked up these bottles at Goodwill…
Got lucky with the Ball jar, it was in the garage with paint left from the previous home owner.
This is the odd ball bottle. No glue words, just spray paint. To decorate I went with scrapbook stickers.
Inspired by this pin and this one, this one, and lastly this one I decided to paint some jars. It was not as easy as I thought it would be. After I washed and dried a couple of bottles, I poured in a little Valspar Interior, Flat Finish paint and rolled the bottle until the inside was covered. At first they looked great. And then they dried. Streaks. Yuk.
Maybe the ones one Pinterst weren’t perfect either, but it’s hard to tell from the pictures. I didn’t used the right kind of paint.
I tried again with paint left in our garage by the pervious home owner. And while the inside of the vase doesn’t look great…
I was pleased with the outside appearance. Right now the can is buried behind some wood in the garage so I can’t see the label. I believe it to be Behr latex paint and I think that was the difference. The heavier paint clung to the glass.
For the bright pink vase on the left, I used spray paint. It did take more than one coat and it did streak a little but I thought it turned out okay. The little cruet didn’t make it home from Goodwill in one piece. I glued it back together and decided to spray paint (Valspar, Cappuccino, satin finish) the outside instead of trying to paint the inside.
Turned out okay don’t you think?
I decided to try spray painting the inside of this little bottle using American Accents by Rust-Oleum in taupe. The letters I picked up for a couple bucks in the scrap-book section at Wal-Mart.
Do you like it next to what I named “my little pony”? She’s in honor of the show my teen-age boys all love, who would thought?
Come this spring I may paint more glass, probably little bottles like the one in the picture. The only problem is I have to figure out where to put all these craft projects I make!
I am a firm believer in making do with what you have. Granted many times we don’t have a choice. I mean who has money to go out a buy stuff all the time? The bonus of this thinking is it fits right in with reduce, reuse, and recycle.
Several years ago we were living in a very small house. There was not a lot of cupboard or storage space. I turned our computer armoire into a microwave cabinet by removing the top doors and adjusting the shelves. Now that we are in a bigger house the armoire, doors reattached, is a tv cabinet in our bedroom.
Also at the time we had a dresser and a set of shelves that I turned into a hutch by stacking the book shelf on top of the dresser. Then I pulled out the four lower drawers of the dresser to make open shelves. It pleases me to no end to see pins on Pinterest from people with the same idea!
Next thing I did was to turn a couple of those drawers into wall cubbies (they aren’t really deep enough to be considered shelves are they?). As furniture gets rearranged and such the make shift hutch got taken apart, with the old dresser moving into the closet for storage. This left me with more drawers to use as wall cubbies! Woohoo!
About a year ago another old dresser got replaced leaving me with more drawers, several of which are now hanging on the wall in my work room. A few of them have yet to be painted, that’s a project for next year.
Here is a sample of the shelves I have completed. These were hanging on the wall of the master bathroom in our smaller house. Now with a fresh coat of spray paint they are hanging in my work room.
Again inspired by Pinterest I put together this candle holder. The idea came from two different pins, one is making a cloche out of the glass vase. You turn the vase upside down and glue a marble to the bottom (see it here). So I tried it and decided I like it better in the picture on Pinterest. The other pin is combining a plate and candle holder to make a cake pedestal (see it here). I may still make one of those, but for now I made this. The candle pedestal came from, you guessed it, Goodwill! The glass vase can be found anywhere, Goodwill, Michael’s, Hobby Lobby, Wal-Mart. Using Aleene’s Turbo Tacky Glue I glue around the top of the candle pedestal and set the vase on top, and let it dry. Was just that easy!